Saturday, March 24, 2018

Fantastic Words (and Where to Find Them)

With Spring Break nearly over and my final term just around the corner, I decided to share some of the words I learned this past term (or relearned). There are so many wonderful words in the world, and the more I learn the more I realize the current limit of my vocabulary. 

  • Avarice: "excessive or insatiable desire for wealth or gain." Webster's Dictionary, Avarice (1828). (I know I've heard this word used, but never took the time to appreciate it) 
  • Dereliction: "The forsaking of a legal or moral obligation with no intent to reassume [sic] it: abandonment (dereliction of duty)." Dereliction, Black's Law Dictionary (9th ed. 2009).
  • Oligopoly: "Control or domination of a market by a few large buyers or customers." Oligopoly, Black's Law Dictionary (9th ed. 2009).
  • Scienter: "A degree of knowledge that makes a person legally responsible for the consequences of his or her act or omission; the fact of on act's having been done knowingly, esp. as a ground for civil damages or criminal punishment. " Scienter, Black's Law Dictionary, (9th ed. 2009).
  • Surreptitious: "(of conduct) unauthorized and clandestine; stealthily and usu. fraudulently done (surreptitious interception of electronic communication...)." Surreptitious, Black's Law Dictionary, (9th ed. 2009). (I knew this word before this term, but, again, never took the time to appreciate it)
Anyway, I shall try to finish my last term without dereliction of my duty to extend my best effort, and that without avarice or oligopic intent. Further, I shall attempt to avoid acting unethically with scienter in my studies or with surreptitious conduct. 

While I am uncertain I used all of those nice words in their correct context (or tense), I think you get the idea. "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:23-24 (English Standard).


Graduation is just around the corner, and my Lord is faithful!

Hold fast to Jesus!

Sonia



No comments:

Post a Comment