Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Voice of Democracy Essay: Why I'm Optimistic About Our Nation's Future

Last November, I had the opportunity to compete in the Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary's audio-essay competition, Voice of Democracy.

Although my essay did not make it past District Level, I had an incredible time writing and presenting it to the local VFW post.
The writing prompt this year was, "Why I'm Optimistic About Our Nation's Future," and the essays could be no less than three minutes and no more than five. I will admit it was a daunting subject, and I spent quite a bit of time formulating my thoughts. I had to dig pretty deep to find where my optimism stood, aside from the fact that God is sovereign over all things and His perfect will always comes about in the end. Finally, though, after months of prewrites, drafts, and rewriting, I submitted my essay (if I had more time before the deadline I probably would have tweaked it a bit more).  Hope you find it informative and encouraging!
                                          Why I’m Optimistic about Our Nation’s Future
             We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of  Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.” These great words were not penned by accident; they are one reason our nation stands today.  Although many Americans dread the direction our country is headed, optimism is possible. While our nation is not in a perfect state of affairs, true optimism about our future may be found by reflecting on our heritage, the foundation upon which we are built.                     
            Indeed, optimism is a reasonable response to the fact that our founding fathers wove a pattern of faith, determination, and readiness to sacrifice. Two hundred and twenty-six years ago, 56 men signed the Declaration of Independence.  During its signing, William Ellery, one of the signers, declared, “I was determined to see how they all looked as they signed what might be their death warrants...Undaunted resolution was displayed on every countenance.” (As qtd in Boyer 57) From the time of the colonists to the present, thousands of courageous men and women continue to lay down their lives with this same resolution. Major General Joseph Warren, who chose to fight as a private at the Battle of Bunker Hill, informed his friend Elbridge Gerry on June 17th 1775, the morning of that fateful day, “It is glorious to lay down one’s life for one’s country” (Boyer 40). This tremendous sacrifice came from true optimism and strong ideals. These men and women were willing to die for the hope affirmed in our Declaration and the honorable ideals penned in our Constitution. Relying on God, they set their eyes on the goal of a free nation, in which all men are created equal. Without hesitation, the same code of conduct lived out by our forefathers must be embraced today in order to revive optimism and overcome current challenges.
            Unfortunately, our country has wandered from some of its founding principles. Our first Amendment states that, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech…” Science teacher, Caroline Crocker was fired because she mentioned the possibility of Intelligent Design, a potentially religious idea (Crocker). In addition, being fired for mentioning the possibility of Intelligent Design is an infringement on our freedom of speech.  Another, more controversial breach of our morals exists in the premature termination of the lives of our unborn. If all men are truly created equal and have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, why aren’t we giving these children a chance?
            Although there are breaches in the foundation our forefathers set, we can see that if we stood firm during the Civil War, World Wars I and II, and even more recently, 9/11,  we can overcome today’s issues as well. Though some who claim to be optimists may believe that everything will turn out fine, no matter what action is taken, true optimism stands firm and diligently fights, regardless of obstacles; it believes that in the end, truth and goodness will prevail.  Many today carry the same resolve as our forefathers. Daily, our brave soldiers put their lives in jeopardy for our freedom. These are not the only heroes of today; think of the politicians, freedom associations, and voting citizens. I am optimistic about our nation’s future because I have seen what has been done in the past, and know, by the grace of God, it can be done again.
            In closing, I am optimistic about our nation’s future not because I see a perfect union, a flawless justice system, or nationwide peace; rather, I observe the wisdom and strength of our Constitution and the power of our Declaration. I remember the determination and sacrifice of our forefathers and realize there are men and women just as patriotic today. I am confident that the freedom we have fought to obtain, we will fight to retain.

Works Cited
Boyer, Marilyn, and Linda Linder. "Massachusetts — Elbridge Gerry." For You They Signed: The Spiritual Heritage of Those Who Shaped Our Nation. Green Forest, AR: Master, 2010. 40. Print.
Boyer, Marilyn, and Linda Linder. "Rhode Island — William Ellery." For You They Signed: The Spiritual Heritage of Those Who Shaped Our Nation. Green Forest, AR: Master, 2010. 57. Print.
Crocker, Caroline I. Free to Think. N.p.: Leafcutter, 2010. Print.

If you made it through the whole thing, I am impressed. If you are merely skipping down to  the end of this post, I have denounced you and shall not reveal to you the location my secret chocolate stash. 
I lied. The truth is, I don't think there is anything on this earth that could make me reveal my stash. Even a kind essay reader.   


2 comments:

  1. I (re)read your whole essay AND I know where your secret chocolate stash is hidden. I think I win. ;)

    And I think you've already heard my opinion, but I think your essay is very well-written. Probably the only reason it didn't win was because you actually dared to address tender issues such as abortion and evolution. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I suppose you have...Until I find a new location for my stash, that is. ;)

      Aw, thank you!

      Delete